Welcome to the Cowichan!
There’s no shortage of things to do right in here in our Valley.
Our region is known as the “Provence of Canada”. We have rolling hills, lush forests, gorgeous coastal views, picturesque villages, artisan food, Indigenous culture and vibrant arts communities. Active visitors can enjoy kayaking and paddle boarding in our bay or can explore the valley’s world-class hiking and biking trails on Mt Tzouhalem (zoo-hay’-lum). Those looking to unwind can savour a meal at our ocean-side restaurant or rent a car and explore everything that the Cowichan Valley has to offer.
Things to do
At the marina
In our community
- The Lion Rampant Scottish Pub
- Genoa Bay Cafe
- Breakfast Cabana at Genoa Bay Marina (seasonal)
E bike Rental
- Hand of Man Museum is must-see collection of natural history, cultural arts & conservation. Take the opportunity for a dinghy ride and head to the Maple Bay government dock located at Maple Bay Beach. Then it’s just a short 10 minute walk up to the museum.
- Pacific Northwest Raptors Take a ride if you travel with bikes on board or rent a car to enjoy this top attraction in our community.
- Downtown Duncan
- Duncan Farmers Market
Hikes and Mountain Biking
- Maple Bay Marina is fortunate to be at the doorstep to the world class trail network of Mt. Tzouhalem (zoo-hay’-lum). While there is some signage for hikers and mountain bikers to follow, we suggest using one of these interactive trail apps, Trail Forks or North Cowichan Trails (iPhone or Android) to explore the mountain.
- Another local trail not to be missed is the Stoney Hill Trail. The trailhead is a 3 km walk from the marina but the spectacular views of Sansum Narrows are well worth the extra effort to get there.
- Cyclist can enjoy exploring the Cowichan Region by using the multi-use Cowichan Valley Trail which is our area’s part of the Trans Canada Trail.
Wineries and Distilleries
- Find out more at Tourism Cowichan
- Pre-booked Shuttle (need more information from client)
- Bus Stop – approximately a 40 minute walk from the marina.
Maple Bay is the North Cowichan’s gateway to the Gulf Islands and beyond. Boaters can explore and dream of their next ocean cruise with these popular boating websites.
Shipyard Restaurant & Pub
Join us for crabcakes and a cold one on the waterfront!
Whether it’s a classic burger and home-made fries, best-ever clam chowder or slow-roasted ribs you’re craving, we’ve got you covered. Dine on the Marina-side patio or keep cozy inside. We’re nestled right in the middle of the Maple Bay Marina. You can’t beat the setting. We’re open year-round, 7 days a week for lunch and dinner.
See menu: shipyardrestaurant.com
Book a table: 250-746-1026
Explore intimate coves and natural beauty up close and personal.
Slip into a kayak and you’ll feel like you’re sitting directly in the sea. It’s a magical sensation that also gives you remarkably easy access to remote places, often in intimate contact with spectacular wildlife. We can rent you a single or double person kayak, including paddle and PFD. Call for reservations and rates.
Book your adventure: 250-746-8482